January 04, 2010

Beige

Most worship centers are fairly sterile and I’ve always liked that. To me it seemed appropriate for the worship environment to be beige, clean, and orderly. I’m now changing my mind. Our new facility has a lot going on visually. Bold colors accented by directional lighting, a clear glass wall and sunken seating area. With octagon, rectangle and angled open spaces and alcoves, the auditorium ceiling varies in height from 8 feet to12 feet to 20 feet. I’m realizing there is a real benefit to the visual busyness of the facility. During the worship service, whether consciously or unconsciously, eyes don’t search the room to see who coughed or sneezed, nor do heads turn to follow a child whose leaving the room to get a drink of water. Even during the meet ‘n greet time the aesthetics, rather than being distracting, actually brings more focus on those with whom you are talking.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----While pondering your blog, a familiar incite struck me again. It has been emerging stronger and more often the last few years, and I hope it takes root in me soon and becomes a practiced attitude, since I feel I am about forty years late developing it. I have always said I can pull a chair into an empty room and be completely entertained just sitting there. That is good in a way. The few times I have visited your church I have been occupied by its many sights - corners, angles, pillars, varying distances, and the interesting alcove formed around the stage. Whether windows have stained glass or are crystal clear, whether walls are colored, white, hung with artwork or bare makes no difference to me. If there is some artistic expression in them I will ponder it, if there is not, I then will ponder what could be there.
-----That is what presents my weakness. If the message of the music or speaker does not match my interest, or if the person I am greeting or speaking with is unknown to me, whatever there is to look at will carry my attention off into some inner land of thought or feeling. And that is pretty arrogant. Humility will engage the purpose and nature of any situation and will form a proper relationship with it. Being with your brothers and sisters is about relationship with each one and to what they have to say.
-----There is something about anyone which deserves a piece of the mind. And there is no better time to give that piece of mind than the time that one is present. If nothing of that one matches any interest of mine, then is the time for me to form a new interest, instead of pondering the walls.

Love you all,
Steve Corey