June 17, 2010

Prayer Value

Amongst believers I’ve heard criticism that when someone is in need we should do more than simply offer to pray for them. I’m sure the intent is meant to say that actions speak louder than words; however I think we need to be cautious with that train of thought. Prayer is powerful, but if we imply to one another that it is just a token gesture, then we devalue its worth. Jesus chose prayer over action with Peter, “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” (Luke 22:31-32 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;
----I believe we must do more than just pray if we have opportunity to do so. Is prayer not a communication of our desire for some beneficial outcome? If we have opportunity to at least increase the possibility of the outcome by doing something, and we do not do it, what does that say about our desire for the outcome? We could reason that what we could have possibly done cost too much or involved too much time, but that is really an indication of no opportunity to do anything rather than unwillingness to do anything. John wrote, "But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or speech, but in deed and in truth." (I John 3:17-18) I have always regarded communication to be more than merely words. Action validates words as much as inaction invalidates them. So, if while I were carrying out my deli-dinner with spare cash in my pocket, I met a hungry homeless person in the Safeway parking lot, why would my prayer over his hunger mean any more than handing him my dinner and returning back to the deli to buy more?
-----So I try to limit my prayers to the amount of help needed that I am not able to provide myself. If that help is within my abilities, then I must realize I am the one someone else asked the Lord to send with some help.

Love you all,
Steve Corey