May 28, 2015

Ambitions

A standard question I use when doing interviews is, “Do you think you are respected in the community?” More often than not people respond with, “I think I am, or I’d like to think I am.” One man, who didn’t follow the norm said, “That’s really not important to me.” Believers are often told to give respect others. However, we are also to strive to be respected, both inside and outside of the church. Paul said, “Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody” (1 Thess 4:11-12 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----People are also very frustrated by the answer, “That all depends.” It is frustrating because it does not answer the question. But it is true because, well, it does all depend on the community’s character. Currently, I wouldn’t want respect from the Baltimore community. I understand that no policeman is an angel, and that some take advantage of their badges. But for that community not to rise up against their DA and mayor, who have both trashed and brow-beat the City’s police force into hiding is a strong indication of terrible community character. What people of bad character respect is bad character. I want good character, therefore, I would not want their respect.
-----On the other hand, if you think about things very honestly and analyze them very carefully, nothing is entirely bad. Not even the Baltimore community is entirely bad. And no, I wouldn’t say they are just having a bad moment. I would say that a difficult situation has engaged the bad nature of their character, which for the moment is eclipsing their good character. In that light, I would want the respect of their good character.
-----So, it does all depend. Life is not homogenous; it’s not simple; indeed, it is very complicated. But in the love God gave to us is the very wonderful nature of intimacy. God is intimate with us beyond our ability to imagine. He knows the rotten in us as well as He knows the bad, the OK, the good, and the great. And every living soul has a little of all those. Through the wisdom, discernment, sympathy, and understanding taught in God’s precious Word, the love He has poured into our hearts for all people, friends and enemies alike, is full of that same nature of intimacy towards others. It is just that we must learn to use it. We must learn to discern from which aspects of the community we want no respect, and from which aspects we want good respect, “Let a good man strike or rebuke me in kindness, but let the oil of the wicked never anoint my head.” (Ps 141:5a)

Love you all,
Steve Corey