February 18, 2020

Laboring in Vain


The seasons in the life of a believer often bring change in our ministry. Your role as a youth Sunday school teacher may transition to that of an adult Bible study teacher, or your role as an elder may lead you to the mission field. Let me admit that I really don’t like those transitions. Most of us will do whatever the Lord calls us to do, but sometimes there is no clear direction. At those times I bombard the gates of heaven with, “Lord, what do you want me to do? Do you want me to teach, lead, or take a sabbatical?” For instance, as a writer, I don’t want my writing to be in vain. If a devotional book is not what the Lord wants me to write, and if there is no audience for the book, I need to go a different direction. Paul reminds me, “Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain” (1 Cor 15:58 NIV).


No comments: