April 04, 2007

Statement of Faith by Committee

Many churches and religious organizations have a Statement of Faith. The first one I read had seven simple ‘We believe…’ statements about the Word of God, Jesus, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, the resurrection, etc. I’ve recently read a Statement of Faith which has the basics, but it’s almost doubled in size as leaders have customized it to their congregation. One statement says, “In the personal and premillenial (sp) and imminent coming of our Lord Jesus Christ ….” If I’m reading this correctly, the denomination expects its members to subscribe to the premillennial view. Good Luck! I’ve never seen a body of believers agree on that issue. Actually, I personally find great sport in debating pre-, post- and amillennial views. I see this as an issue for personal interpretation of Scripture rather than it being a Statement of Faith.

No comments: