December 10, 2007

Leftovers

When you ate at grandma’s table the meals often included a dab or two of leftovers from a previous meal. Her attitude was ‘waste not, want not’, and those leftovers would continue to appear at successive meals until someone finished them off. I tried to implement grandma’s tradition with my own family, but my children resisted the reruns. Today I still struggle with throwing food out if there is enough leftover for a single serving. If I’d been on the wilderness trek with Moses I’d probably have been one of those trying to serve leftover maggot-manna. (Ex 16:20)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----But, thank God, you are not on Moses’ wilderness trek. And you are right, leftovers should not be thrown out. You are one step away from having a great idea. Just cook the leftovers into the next meal. Maybe that was the idea that led to succotash, or pot pies. (Char makes the greatest pot pies!) If everyone detects the leftovers cooked into their meals and becomes discontent, then stop doing it. Leave the leftovers in the refrigerator, and cook only two-thirds what everyone normally eats. Then they will eat their leftovers cold!