September 10, 2009

Lifeline

When I was growing up the old Frances Crosby hymn, ‘Rescue the Perishing’ was a congregational favorite…well, maybe not a favorite, but we sang it often. “Rescue the perishing, care for the dying, Snatch them in pity from sin and the grave;…” I used to think these lyrics were telling me it was my job to do the rescuing and Jesus’ job to do the saving. My stats aren’t very good when it comes to rescuing people who don’t want to be rescued. Actually, throwing out the life line has much less pressure. “Throw out the lifeline! Throw out the lifeline! Someone is sinking today.” (Edwin Ufford)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----It is frustrating to throw out the lifeline and not have it grasped, especially when it is a loved one to whom you have thrown it, and you are sitting in the lifeboat watching them being swamped by the rolling seas. So we try to throw out more lifelines - as many as we have - hoping that somehow the loved one will get tangled in all the lines and be hauled into safety. But our frustration doubles when we run short of lines because our own lives are not lived obediently enough to generate more. And it triples when we realize that no one just gets tangled in the lines such that they can be hauled in against their will. I don’t like this life. I never really have. I will like the next one, and I pray somebody might throw a more convincing line to my loved ones than I have thrown.

Love you all,
Steve Corey