November 25, 2013

Humbling

I’m allergic to perfume and in my attempts to avoid people who wear it I sit in the back of the auditorium during worship services. My personal pew consists of one lone folding chair situated away from other people. I wouldn’t consider myself to be seated in the bleacher section, but neither do I consider the location a position of honor. A few weeks ago I was bowled over when one of the ladies came up to me before service and informed me she would be sitting in my usual spot. I located another folding chair and sat it behind her, with my back almost against the wall, but I had to laugh. Apparently I only ‘thought’ I had been sitting in the lowliest of positions. Jesus said when you are invited to a wedding feast, “…take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke14:10-11 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Our most active biases are about ourselves. In our positive attitudes, we over consider our importance, and strengths. In our negative ones, we under consider them. People do not usually consider themselves logically - gather the facts, analyze them, form syllogisms, draw conclusions.
-----Jesus was being no more literal about seeking the lowest place than when He said to pluck your eyes out if they sin against you. He used extremism to frame His points. Humility is not putting yourself under everyone, behind everyone, after everyone, etc. Humility is putting yourself where you belong. Where you belong is a matter of what the situation beckons of you and how much you have to offer for its good. The humble preacher does not preach while seated on the floor in the back of the sanctuary. The NFL coach does not lead his team from the nose-bleed section. Their humility places them where they can do the situation good.
-----And that really is the key to humility, and more. “…do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” (Galatians 6:10) Being a “man” yourself, you are one to whom you do good. “Good” is a circumstantial matter which must be determined in every situation. You do good to sit away from perfumers and colognies not for your own comfort alone, but also so you do not become a distraction of choking, coughing, wheezing. Humility is about thoughtfulness. The way Jesus said it makes you think more.
-----It is the fact that we can only directly “feel” our own thoughts and emotions which exaggerates bias towards self. The thoughts and feelings of others are left to our imagine as evidenced by their expressions and actions. If we fail to observe these, we place one foot into the wilderness. If we fail to imagine as well, then we live in the wilderness. And once there, we only imagine the relationships we think we have.

Love you all,
Steve Corey