April 04, 2014

Enemy Oppression

Joann was contemplative when I ask her about enemies. “I guess I need a definition. How can I have any enemies if I’m supposed to love everyone all the time? The word that comes to mind is nemesis.” For over 45 years Joann’s father-in-law held animosity towards her because she was “too religious.” The breaking point came during his wife’s funeral when he called Joann aside and taunted her for ruining his son’s life. It was only then that Joann found the resolve to say, “I want you to know that I love you, but this will be the last time you will see me.” Joann had already worked through forgiving her father-in-law when she learned that he had stroke which has left him paralyzed, unable to speak and dying. With an exasperated laugh Joann said, “Now I can’t talk to him. But here I am, putting him on the prayer chain. It’s still not too late for the Lord to reach him.” Referencing the oppression of an enemy the Psalmist said, “My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?”  (Psalms 42:10 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Joann is confusing her father-in-law’s nature towards her with hers towards him. An enemy is not someone with whom mutual animosity is shared. It is someone who wishes or intends your destruction, or at least damage. That she loved him did not make him not her enemy. It made her not his. In as much as the Lord’s participation in a life means that life’s eternal bliss and glory, as opposed to the eternal destruction of a life without the Lord, her desires and ambitions for him to know the Lord made her his friend regardless of any perception he may have had of her being destructive towards his ambition to participate in pleasurable rubbish.

Love you all,
Steve Corey