December 08, 2014

Bearing His Name

Last year I donated my large commercial cookie sheet to the church because my days of making massive amounts of peanut butter cookie bars are over. Recently Bill had coffee with the guys at church and he came back with the cookie sheet in hand. I’d failed to remove my name from the bottom of pan, so the guys were sending it home. As believers, many of us fret over loved ones that have drifted away from the Lord; we seem to have forgotten that a name has been written on them. “Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name” (Rev 3:12 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Drifting away from the Lord is a dangerous situation. In the parable of the sower, whether the birds snatched the seed away because understanding was not sufficient or because tribulation or persecution drove an ill-founded heart away, in both cases, the Word was received. Moreover, even though the heart filled with the world’s cares never seems to receive the seed, hearts having received it often fill up with cares choking it out later. Christ talked about many falling away in the face of tribulation (Mat 24:9-10,) and indeed, a big problem in the first few centuries for the church was how to handle those who ran from the Lord to save themselves from torture, and then came back with hat in hand when things cooled off. And the author of Hebrews warns against falling away (Heb 3:12.) I am never comforted by the thought that the Lord’s name has been written on me. On that Day when I’ve departed from this body and gone home to be with the Lord I will be comforted by the fact that the Lord’s name was written on me. But before then, I will only take comfort in the Lord’s name being written on me.

Love you all,
Steve Corey