December 10, 2014

Testimony

I recently attended a church where the worship service, aside from taking sacraments and singing three hymns, was made up of impromptu testimonies. The speakers had an eclectic collection of thoughts — everything from Jesus being the Son of God, to personal confessions, walks down memory lane, Christmases past and persecution of their denomination. Obviously some of these folks were a little confused about the components and purpose of a testimony. Jesus said, “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is valid” (John 5:31-32 NIV). The work Jesus came to finish testifies that He was sent by God.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I think Paul should have written us at least one chapter on formatting the worship service. Instead, he writes a paragraph within a chapter on how speakers at the Corinthian worship services should behave under good self control. Your recently attended church lands closer to this model than the more traditional church service rises to it. Yet, it’s funny how thinking about what might roll out of those services is a bit unnerving. Sadly, the Lord’s church has spent nineteen centuries practicing and adjusting church services around a different model than the tiny glimpse of what Paul showed. And to see a service operate around his model now exudes from us criticism often deserved.

Love you all,
Steve Corey