March 27, 2015

What Say You

I visited a church where everything that was said, even during casual conversation, was backed up by a Scripture reference. Shortly thereafter I interview a woman who backed up all of her thoughts by citing books and authors. I kept stopping the interview to tell her I needed her quotes and thoughts, not those of people she reads, admires and ascribes to. She finally said, “Well, I guess that’s from being associated with academia because you need to cite where your information comes from.” I’m reminded of the Lord’s conversation with Peter when he asked, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” Peter suggested, John the Baptist, Elijah and Jeremiah. Jesus then asked, “But what about you? Who do you say I am” (Matt 16:16 NIV)?

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Do we take ourselves too seriously? In an academic paper constant citation is important. Sometimes in common conversation it is. But you can generally tell when someone is interested in using something you’ve said as a building block in something they’re thinking. Maybe you’d want to cite for them. Otherwise, most of our conversations are for emotional effects, so folks aren’t going to take their informational aspects academically.

Love you all,
Steve Corey