October 28, 2015

Unprepared

Without introduction the speaker/preacher stood behind the podium and told of his fear and uneasiness about speaking in front of a group with whom he was not well acquainted. Beginning his message he recounted telling his wife he would, “…build a message when I get up there to the podium. God will expand on the Scriptures that have touched me, He [God] wants to move me along, move us forward.” I continue to be amazed at how often I hear speakers tell their audience that they are relying on the Spirit to put the finishing touches on their message. Some of these men may be confusing sermon preparation with words that are needed when one is under persecution. Jesus said to the Twelve, “But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you” (Matt 10:19-20 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----For him, being a speaker/preacher, that scripture probably doesn’t bear any correlation to his need for words from the Spirit at the podium. But for me, to stand in front of any size audience IS persecution. To me, that scripture is then purely relevant. My mind does not memorize script efficiently. I get lost in my own notes and outlines, thinking within myself, “What on earth did I mean by that?” and hearing the faint, wavering reply from deep within, “I have no idea!” So notes and outlines do me no good. I could write my stuff down and read it. But emotion of delivery is about two thirds of persuasion and three quarters of the attention hook. Emotion does not track read script very well. Besides, a big part of the rest of keeping your audience engaged is some meaningful eye contact, which I can not do while reading. The only thing I can do in front of an audience is freeze up and know I’m looking like the idiot I’m being. So I have an excuse. Being there is persecution. Then maybe the Spirit might help.

Love you all,
Steve Corey