July 13, 2016

Have a Good Day

When I call people for interviews I regularly get their voice mail. People tell me they screen their calls and most want to call me back at their convenience. However, for my convenience I rarely leave a message…I don’t want people returning the call while I’m in the process of interviewing someone else. As believers we constantly hear from the Spirit and I suspect that, for the sake of convenience, many of us are guilty of letting Him hear a recorded message, “Your call is important to us. Leave Your name and number and we’ll get back to You as soon as possible. Have a good day.” The writer of Hebrews reminds us, “So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts…”” (Hebrews 3: 7-8a NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----One of the things I’ve loved first and most about God is His logic. Art is indefinite. It’s pretty and all, but its message seems to be whatever to whomever. But in saying, “…if you hear His voice, do not harden…” there is implied only two responses - obedience or denial (of which passively ignoring it is also.) Seeing the many ways the Holy Spirit comes calling in our minds should make one realize the temporal lobes will become a most sober place in the real ways of the new life. The Holy Spirit continuously calls us to stop and consider what we are doing from all perspectives involved enlightened by the meaning of God’s Word before we decide to act. But of course, if God’s Word can mean anything to anyone, we’ve got our temporal lobes off the hook again, and won’t our hearts be soft and plumpy then? Nowadays, more than ever before, it is important to stop and think very carefully before following just any rainbow. Paralleling what the Spirit says is yet another way of hardening the heart. Congruency is the measurement.

Love you all,
Steve Corey