June 19, 2017

When You Come Together

Occasionally when I reflect on a church visit I realize I’ve gotten very little out of the worship service. Last Sunday the congregation I visited was attentive and respectful during Sacraments, but as soon as communion was finished it was as though someone hit a light switch and no one was engaged in the service, or in what was being said. This particular denomination doesn’t have preachers per se, but rather speakers that give talks and both speakers this day were women. Two thirds of those in the audience were younger children and while they weren’t disruptive or jumping up and down in their pew, there was a constant buzz of conversations amongst siblings and with parents to the point that I couldn’t always hear the speakers. Each lady read from her prepared script which included testimony, quotes from published articles, minimal Scripture and brief commentary. However, from my vantage point very few people appeared to be listening to the talks. Although it’s foreign to my thought process, I’m now wondering if some folks just attend worship services for the Lord’s Supper. Paul said, “For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Cor 11:26 NIV).

No comments: