October 17, 2017

What Can I Do?

As my mother-in-law settles into our home she frequently asks, “What can I do to help?” Often I can’t think of anything she can help with because what I prioritize as needing done are things that only I can do — writing, organizing my work space, coordinating schedules. I never thought of helping others as being a God appointed position in the body of Christ, but there it is tucked between some of what many of us consider to be the weightier positions described by Paul. “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues” (1 Cor 12:27-28 NIV).

2 comments:

Pumice said...

I wonder which gift would be used to described to the ability to make people feel needed by finding meaningful ways for them to help, even when you don't really need help.

That just popped into my mind as I was reading. She will probably feel more at home if she thinks she is contributing.

Grace and peace.

Christian Ear said...

Ah, good point. It may be more about what she needs than what I need.
Gail