February 13, 2018

Spin

In my role as a reporter I cover city government and I continue to be amazed at how often the report I file for my on-line publication differs in context and content from the articles in the local print newspaper that cover the same meeting. I report on the facts I hear in meetings; however, other reporters contact sources after the meeting giving the source the opportunity to clarify, expand, justify and yes, spin the story. I’m reminded of the stone that was rolled away from the tomb of Jesus. The guards reported to the chief priests everything that happened, “When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, telling them, “You are to say, ‘His disciples came during the night and stole him away while we were asleep.’ If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.” So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day” (Matt 28:12-15 NIV).

No comments: