March 25, 2019

Out With the Old and in With the New


For almost 13 years, five days a week, I’ve written a daily blog. I decide it is now time to organize the posts and see if there is a book hiding somewhere in the blogs. I’ve now sorted through two years’ worth of posts and I’m amazed by the pattern emerging. In general, every time a new pastor is hired it’s out with the old and in with the new. Elders, programs, music, staff, and membership are replaced with the new pastor’s vision. Casualties are strewn everywhere. Churches are not growing, but rather decreasing in attendance as they are deconstructed and reconstructed in the image put forth by each pastor. Paul said, “It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains” (Phil 1:15-17).

No comments: