July 01, 2020

The Importance of Our Words


On Facebook one of my older friends likes to re-post and re-print quotes of others. I mentioned to her that I seldom read such posts unless there is something of a personal nature in the post from her. If there is a personal note, such as, “I’m burdened today, or I’m having a great day,” then I will respond with a comment. I had to laugh when she said, “Oh, I don’t want anyone to comment, I just want them to read my post and like what I have to say.” Certainly, we all want others to be attentive and respect our wisdom. However, Paul reminds us, “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his£ faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully” (Ro 12:3-8 NIV).


No comments: