March 28, 2006

GET IT OVER WITH

To accommodate growth our church recently began a third morning worship service. As I visited with my friend Sam about the new schedule he said, “I don’t like it when people say, ‘I go to the early service so I can get it over with.’ It makes me wonder just what it is that they want to be done with.” Sam’s comment was like a swift kick. Although I might phrase it a little differently, I’m guilty of the same attitude. I’d never considered how my comments might affect others; much less how God must feel each Sunday as I quickly packed up the worship service so I could get on with my day. I appreciate Sam’s profound observation.

4 comments:

David Wilson said...

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
(William Blake)

or as a Hasid might say: All the trouble in the world happens because I do not say what I think and I do not do what I say.

still, it seems to me that while you may have acknowledged your friends' disgruntlement, yet you may not have gotten at the root point, why do we worship? there are many reasons; to say "thank you lord for this day", to share the eucharist either in joy or sorrow - sometimes when all hope seems gone - and find something there perhaps that stays in the mouth like a sweet taste, who knows? God may also find something in the hearts of those who only go to meet and greet, in the increasingly aged congregations that I have seen maybe it is just to see who is still alive ...

maybe a good reason to go early is simply to get a seat!

be well

Christian Ear said...

It's always good to get additional perspectives. I can relate...especially to the seating!

Christian Ear said...

Family Man,
I love AW Tozer. Thanks for your input. You're not the only one who wonders what in blazes is being taught in seminaries!

Christian Ear said...

Family Man
At times wives do make good recommendations and your clarification was well stated! You’re absolutely right about the condition of the heart being the issue. Sheesh, I’m doing the carb-free thing. How many carbs do you suppose we’re talking about here? 