March 29, 2006

ROPED OFF

I’ve attended events where certain areas were blocked off in order to manage crowds. However, nothing prepared me for walking into my church auditorium to find large sections of pews roped off. Obviously restrict the seating area was more for the speakers comfort than for the comfort of those in the pew. Every Sunday fenced off pews remained empty while 200 people were herded into coziness. Let me confess my rebellious side wanted to untie the ropes, take a seat in the forbidden area and dare anyone to ask me to move. We should be able to select a seat based on our needs and preferences, not on the speaker’s desire to connect with his audience. Jesus’ method of crowd control was telling people to just sit down. Can you just imagine Jesus roping off areas of the mountainside for His Sermon on the Mount? I think not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus'disciples were not serving communion after the sermon on the mount, so it might not have been for the speaker as much as helping the servers reach all of the believers and not miss any when the rorpes were placed on the seats. (I know, long sentence)Maybe when something erks us, we should be more willing to find the truth and not speculate.

Having said that, I have spoken in many churches throughout America and Europe, I have learned that it helps the speaker and the listener when the congregation is in tighter quarters.

Thanks for allowing me to share with you.

Daniel