September 12, 2006

Copyright

The reference book, Writing A to Z, edited by Kirk Polking describes a copyright as “A proprietary right designed to give the creator of a work the power to control that work’s reproduction, distribution, and public display or performance, as well as its adaptation to other forms.” This seems remarkably similar to the right of our Creator when we become a Christian. Personally I don’t have a problem understanding that God is the potter and I’m the clay. However, once He’s shaped me into a pot, I want Him to let me get on with my doing my ‘potley-duties’. I forget that His copyright includes reproduction, distribution, public display, performance and adaptation to other forms. “Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.” Isaiah 64:8 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----What an insightful analogy! God wants to copy His nature onto our being. Although we then can go out and and become examples and inspiration to others, and teachers and preachers of the Word helping to build knowledge and insight, it is still only God who can bring His nature to reality in another.
----I have always liked that thought. And although the Lord has led me to an understanding of fellowship and its importance to His community of children, I never looked at it through the terminology of a copyright's various implications.