September 22, 2006

Dodging Duck Doo

The bike path corridor running through our town travels near a drainage ditch that has running water year round. In one section of the walkway a large population of ducks, both domestic and wild, have taken up residence. The ducks are great at providing entertainment, keeping insects under control and fertilizing the grass. In the summer the automatic sprinkler system keeps the sidewalk washed off, but some days you really have to watch your step. The other night I walked later than my usual time and found myself dodging duck doo in the dark. I should have remembered Jesus’ words to the crowd, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going.” John 12:35 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----John makes some interesting statements about the light. In I John he says that if we walk in the light we have fellowship with one another, whoever loves his brother lives in the light (and there is nothing in him to make him stumble), and that any one who hates his brother is in the darkness. In Ephesians Paul says that the fruit of the light consists of goodness, righteousness, and truth. When Jesus walked among us He displayed the qualities of mercy, kindness, and goodness as fully as He did righteousness and truth.
----While we are dodging the duck-doo by being, oh, so faithful in our giving, our singing and praising, our small groups, Bible studies, and organized activities of service, how are we treating our brothers and sisters?
----I know the context does not fully apply to this discussion, but one phrase Jesus spoke always chases me to self-examination: "...even these rocks would rise up and praise Me." If I am not careful in loving my brothers and sisters, I could be replaced in the Kingdom by a rock!?!