January 30, 2007

It's a Small World

If you’ve ever been to Disneyland with young children and heard the song ‘It’s a Small World’, you know that it can keep replaying in your head for days to come. Actually, even the mention of the title can trigger the song to go off in my brain. Similarly, I find that many of today’s praise choruses are highly infectious, running circles in my mind and going nowhere. Please don’t misunderstand; it’s not the fault of the music or the lyrics. I just think our churches are full of music directors who are repeat offenders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I can understand why the music leaders are wanting to use these contemporary tunes. Young people relate to them much more. The "sticky" nature the tune may have in their heads probably represent music more than irritation. And the repetitous play through the mind ingrains a message there. That is the effectiveness of music. I am thankful that the tunes relate godly inspiration to many, many young people.
----But those tunes do not revolve around in my mind, I assure you! The ungodly disregard given to the feelings and consciences of the people upon whom the leaders forced them still rushes to my mind with the hearing of their sounds. I don't even have to turn the memory off because the vileness of the elitism the leaders showed in conquering their brothers and sisters blocks it automatically!
----From my perspective, that is what is wrong with both the contemporary music and the leaders who rule for it. The music itself is beneficial! But the bigotry and spiritual superiority which follows in its wake, the leaders' insulting of traditional symbols on its left and their ostricizing of traditional thinking on its right, are what is wrong with it.
----This elitism creeps in like a snake, conforming itself to the shape of whatever was there first, while not taking up too much space. Then when everyone has become reasonably comfortable with its presence, it begins a strangling squeeze.
----I find it interesting that the process at your leaders' church has led to an appropriate accrostic formed by the six points listed on its member commitment slips: SSSSSS...