January 22, 2007

Out With the Old

Most Sunday school teachers and Bible study leaders will keep previously used lesson material in a file just in case they have to teach the same topic again. Not so with my friend Rick, who tosses out all his notes and lessons as soon as they’re taught. “I always thought if I used old lessons I’d be more dependent on them than I would on the Spirit. Even if I were to teach the same subject or book of the Bible, the people in class aren’t the same and it’s likely that the Spirit will have a different message for them. For me as a teacher it’s important to stay open to the Spirit’s leading.” As I think of Jesus teaching on the importance of pouring new wine into new wineskins, it’s probably time for me to discard a few of my old wineskins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I never consider my previous thinking to be old wine skins. I look at thought as a work-in-process. I don't regard it as eligible for the scrap pile just because its relevant context has past. In fact, some of it is the trunk of topics that I carry through time, adding to, adjusting, and subtracting from as I learn new information. So I keep the stuff that I prepare because it is a part of what the Lord is building in me through the Spirit.

Christian Ear said...

Steve,
I’ve appreciated some of the ‘stuff’ that you’ve pulled out of your archives to share with us. As Scripture often does, it has me wandering down a different path of thinking. Now I’m wondering, ‘What did they do with those old wineskins?’ Matthew, Mark and Luke all record concern that the old wineskins might get ruined. I’d probably be making sandal laces out of them.