June 08, 2007

German's Chocolate Cake

A few weeks ago we were invited to a dinner for 16 people and I asked the hostess what she’d like me to bring. Since I was the first on her invitation list I had dibs on all the side-dish options to choose from. I told her to put me down for dessert and that I’d bring a German’s Chocolate Cake – her husband’s favorite. Knowing how labor intensive it is to make this cake she said, “Oh good, I’m so glad I called you first.” The cake was a success and in a strange way it helped me relate to one aspect of the parable of the Shrewd Manager recorded in Luke 16. If I consider my German’s Chocolate Cake to be wealth, I’m confident my friends will ask me back – and my name might even stay at the top of the invitation list

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Recently, Char was invited to a dinner party. She committed to bringing a dip. That afternoon she set about making the best avocado/bean dip I have tasted yet. She had struck just the right note with the onions! Then she sprinkled the garlic in. Oh my! I should have waited a moment longer to get my sample taste! She topped it with sour cream and sliced olives. And I had to stay home and work on my pick up!
-----When she returned from the dinner, I learned that the hostess had gratefully received her dip and set it somewhere obscure. Fortunate for me! Char felt a little bad because little of it had been enjoyed at the party.
-----I actually thought about that dip several times at work the next day. I knew that she likes to have left-overs eaten. So if she didn’t put it on the dinner table that evening, I knew she wouldn’t mind if I did. And I did. And it was good!
-----Now, I can’t actually see how this has anything to do with the parable of the shrewd manager, except that somehow I’ve got to make sure these hostesses keep setting Char’s goodies in the obscure places. When I get that figured out, I’m going to share the secret with Bill.