June 25, 2007

No Time Like the Present

In Christian circles it’s not uncommon to seek prayer from one another. We often cloak our request in terms of ‘When you think of it…, Could you add this to your list…, and even, If you run out of anything to pray about, you can pray for…’ It’s as though we’re asking someone to put a prayer need on their To-Do list because we don’t want to inconvenience them in the moment. Recently my friend Charlie called to share some good news and he took time to ask for an update on a situation I’d been dealing with. As we prepared to say our good-bys Charlie caught me off guard when he said, “Gail, how would it be if I prayed for you right now?” After his ‘amen’ and my ‘thank you’, I hung up thinking, ‘Why can’t I ever remember to do that?’ I’d like it if Charlie’s attitude of ‘there’s no time like the present’ would rub off on me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Char and I had a similar experience not long ago. I left feeling as if we had been blessed by one of the Lord’s prophets. Char felt as if we had experienced an angel. This person who had prayed for our situation was sincere in her relationship to the Lord, insightful, and humble. I am like you. I hope to develop the inner peace and fortitude, the sincerity, and the humility to do the same. I think His love and nature are efficiently commuted from one to another through this kind of immediacy.