July 26, 2007

Itching Ears

In Joel Osteen’s televised message of 7-22-07 he explained he didn’t have all the answers to Biblical questions. He told the audience it’s important to recognize your gifts, but to also accept your limitations. I appreciated Joel’s honesty in saying he’s an encourager rather than a theologian. As the camera panned his audience I chuckled at the thought of what it must cost the largest church in America to be encouraged each week. Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t begrudge Joel his salary. He’s earning his salary by doing and saying what his audience wants to hear. In 2 Timothy Paul says, “For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.” (NIV) Who would have ever though that ear scratching paid so well?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I am sure it would be difficult to be a preacher in the light of the usual Christian climate. The Bible lays out a definite theology that is basic to Christianity. But it is very basic. All of the details that have been hung upon it by this denomination and by that denomination are products of the Bible viewed from different perspectives. The Bible itself teaches us to allow these differences, holding to what is meaningful to you, and holding to your brother.
-----I imagine if I were a preacher I would present different theological thoughts upon different topics, present the Biblically drawn outer limits of acceptability, encourage the congregation to get comfortable with what makes sense to them, and get on with what seems to be important in the Word: Christian behavior toward one another and toward God. I guess that is one of the reasons why I am not a preacher.