November 15, 2007

Grinch

The first show on Broadway to be affected by the stagehands strike was “Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical.” Now that’s what I call prophetic for those with reserved tickets and everyone connected with the show. I know the Grinch all too personally. For me he shows up uninvited the day after Thanksgiving and won’t leave until Christmas day. He plays on the fact that I never feel completely ready for the holidays. Even without putting Christmas on the calendar, my month of December would be full. The gifts I’d like to buy I either can’t find, or can’t afford. Entertaining family and meal preparation seems more work than pleasure. I do love the decorations…if someone else puts them up and takes them down. Maybe I’ve got this all wrong. Maybe if I’d really let the Grinch steal Christmas then I could focus on the birth of Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joyful Hubbub

Gail;
-----I think some folks would just as soon the Grinch steal Christmas. Many of them figure that December 25 was patched in from the religion of Mithras. Others think the date was carried over from a Roman solar observance of the Winter equinox. They point to the fact that the shepherds were watching their sheep in the pastures, something they say would be done in the Spring of the year rather than in the Winter. Although I haven’t studied it enough to know, I suppose they are more right than not. I give it only a 1 in 365 chance. We’ve probably missed the date, but we’ve tried.
-----So when I see the gifts and Christmas trees and parties and merrymaking and other events of the Season, I am not bothered over the blur it makes of any focus on Jesus. Instead, it reminds me of the freedom that He made for us from the gloomy consequence of sin. I see everyone’s effort to make joy and happiness, and I see people who want to participate in what is good and kind, whether they have come to actually know how or not. They at least try. And that is exactly the gift Christ brought for us, a reckoning of righteousness to us regardless of the fact that we still miss the mark. My heart fills all the more full of appreciation for Him among the Christmas hubbub.