February 25, 2010

For or Against

Speaking from a personal point of view there are times we need to remain neutral, such as not picking sides in a family squabble. However, some of us try to take this same neutrality unto our spiritual life where we equate being non-committal to being non-judgmental. Our pride in neutrality doesn't stand up to Scriptural truth...Jesus is pretty narrow-minded when it comes to the narrow gate. "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." (Luke 11:23 ESV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I like to say, “If anyone is going to be biased, let him be biased towards the truth.” That makes the question of neutrality or engagement easier. When the truth about an issue can be at least basically known, there is a call to stand by it. And when someone is being hurt by either deceit or misunderstanding, there is a call to duty. Neutrality beckons when the truth is not clear.
-----Neutrality or engagement in spiritual matters is complicated by God’s mercy. Without His mercy the gate is much too narrow for any man but Jesus to enter. We all have at least one point of sin in our lives sufficient to set us against God. I certainly see brothers and sisters having very good faith in the Lord act quite hideously. I do myself. So when does God discern the desire of a heart to be genuine enough to extend His mercy? And if He has extended His mercy to another, regardless of some habit I definitely know to be unscriptural, how can I say he is against God when God mercifully sees him as being for Him?
-----Although I forbid myself to handle the answer to whether someone is for or against God, whether or not their behavior is for or against Him is a different matter. And you are right, the scripture calls us to engage when we see a fellow believer sinning, but to do so gently and lovingly.

Love you all,
Steve Corey