September 11, 2012

$1,000 Pie

Eight of the 259 homes lost in the June 2012 High Park fire belonged to firefighters. In a fund raising event for the volunteer fire department one of the wives was talked into baking a pie to be auctioned off, but she lamented that since the fire she’d forgotten how to bake. She went on to explain that her rolling pin, pie plates, oven and her mother’s 1947 cookbook were all burned up. Over the centuries we’ve heard accounts and reports of God’s people being deprived of or even losing the Word. I can only imagine that they too woke up from their catastrophe feeling that they somehow lost the ability to worship. “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:10-11 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I often think of the centuries and centuries of souls even in Christian Europe who had not a Bible at home to read. They had to experience the written word at the local Parish, if they were fortunate enough to have one of those near by with a priest capable of reading. Not much beyond those bounds began the frontiers of peoples who had never even heard of the Word, let alone read any of it. And that was an improvement on what had come for millennia before. We are blessed.

Love you all,
Steve Corey