September 17, 2012

Prepared

I get irritated and feel short changed when a speaker opens his presentation with, ‘I really didn’t know what I was going to talk about, but at the last minute I came up with this thought…’  I can’t help but wonder how some of these procrastinators would feel if they arrived at the pearly gates only to learn that the Lord waited until the last minute to come up with a design idea for their place in heaven. “In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.”  (John 14:2 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I felt a little embarrassed for Clint Eastwood when he began his “speech” at the RN Convention. I feared he was showing senility. But the more he progressed the better it got, until I began to wonder if the earlier roughness was just a part of the gig. By the time he was finished I was sure the only “surprise guest” who could have topped that would have been the short clip we’ve all seen of Obama declaring he would have only one term if he did not get unemployment fixed in three years. I’m still sad I didn’t see Obama there. But that’s beside the point. The point is that Mr. Eastwood later informed us that his entire gig came to him only fifteen minutes before stage-time. To his professionalism and our dignity, he did not immediately announce this at the podium.
-----Frankly, I like an ad-libbed speech far more than a prepared, practiced, and polished one, even if it doesn’t flow as well. Not everyone can do it. Some will only do it. But that is not the issue to me. The issue is that I receive something with far more heart-feeling when I know it came to me through a heart-felt delivery. Something ad-libbed is most always something very heart-felt.
-----But the announcement that the piece arrived in mind only moments ago, or last night before bed after Johnny Carson (rerun) is just shmear spoiling the feeling of the whole thing. Go ahead, stammer and stumble a bit. We’ll presume it’s coming from your heart, if it’s good. And if it’s good, it probably did come from your heart. But if it’s not good, and it still came from your heart, well, sorry ole chap, you just opened your mouth and “removed all doubt.”

Love you all,
Steve Corey