August 27, 2013

I Don’t Get It

Sometimes I just don’t always catch a joke when it’s written or in a cartoon. If I ask someone in the family to explain it they’ll laugh and say, ‘Mom, if I have to explain it, it’s not that funny’. I can imagine Jesus having a similar reaction when he used His parable about clean and unclean. The audience may have gotten the gist of the parable, but the lesson was lost on his disciples. After they left the crowd and went into the house the disciples asked about the parable and Jesus responded, “Are you so dull? Don’t you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him ‘unclean’?” I can so relate to the disciples and their waiting until they were in the house to ask for clarification. I find it interesting that Jesus let them save face by not calling them dull in public. (Mark 7:18 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----It is also interesting that the public before which Jesus would not call them dull was enormously smaller than the public before which He did call them dull. The Bible is yet the best sold and read book of all times (sorry, Rick Warren.)

Love you all,
Steve Corey