October 11, 2013

Donation

I recently received a campaign invitation to spend an evening of discussion with a candidate. The fundraising component of the invitation gave me whiplash, “Minimum $50 donation recommended not required.” Sadly, we believers can sound the same way when we manipulate Scripture and make it more palatable. Some in today’s church infer that God would accept, ‘minimum love-donation 100% is recommended but not required’. Jesus is not ambiguous about the Greatest Commandment in the Law, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” (Matt 22:37 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----The big question I have been addressing since I was made alive in the Lord: “What is all of your heart, all of your soul, and all of your mind?” I’ve looked for a bottom of each from which I could ascend to their tops; I’ve looked for the one side of each from which I could go to their other; I’ve looked for their beginnings from which I could proceed to their ends; I’ve found none of these. If you can not set the bounds of something, you can not control it all. If you can not control all your heart and soul and mind, you can not love God with their all. So, Christ died.
-----Now, I love God’s Word with a love that never seems to end, because there never seems to be an end of all the practical, actual, amazing meanings in it. When you discover any one of its meanings, it’s sheer simplicity is striking. We are not in full control of ourselves because we are yet involved in the physical realm by the necessity of inhabiting a living body, the tent in which we temporally dwell. Paul says that our perfecting awaits the laying down of it, so to speak, because in it is yet sin. So, we “…groan inwardly as we wait for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.” (Rom 8:23b) Why would we groan inwardly? Because we do not have what we desire, this love for God with all our heart and soul and mind, which we will get when our bodies, too, are redeemed at their resurrection. “Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” (Ps 37:4)

Love you all,
Steve Corey