October 08, 2013

What a Friend

My kids have introduced me to the on-line game Candy Crush Saga, a game of removing various types of candies from the board by matching three in a row. There are your regular jelly beans, lemon drops and red hots, but there are also special candies that have the power wipe out a line of candies, or explode in all directions. Along the way there are various obstacles that make the levels progressively harder, such as candies tied up in licorice rope or covered with jelly. Interestingly one of the biggest roadblocks is the requirement that you must ask three friends on Facebook to help you before you can proceed to the next stage. First, I had to join Facebook, then I had to find three friends who played the game, then I had to play nice with my new found friends and ask them for favors…such as additional lives in the game. Honestly I’d rather just play the game and not depend on others for my progress.
Not that this game models salvation, but more than a few of us approach the Lord in a similar manner. We want to play the game of eternal life, but we don’t want to have to go through our Friend, Jesus, to get that new life.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I complain a lot about Facebook digitizing friendship out of all its non-verbal communications. And I wonder about the effects it will have on social psychology. Then I think about the telephone. It isn’t a lot better, if it isn’t in fact worse. There is just something missing when interacting is not face to face.
-----Then I realize my interaction with my best Friend has never been face to face. Nor will it be until I die, or until He returns. Maybe what’s missing isn’t as important as I once thought. Else I’ve missed the point of what it is that He upholds all things by the power of His word.
-----His face is even in the constructiveness of all things regardless of their pervasive chaos. That there always is an aspect of security in any given moment regardless of whether that moment might be bringing physical death seems as if it could be a bit of His face. Maybe face to face with Him as well as anyone else has not been truly attained until the mind has comprehended the spiritual meaning of the moment. And would that not bear far more implications upon social psychology?

Love you all,
Steve Corey