January 21, 2014

Treasures on Earth

Last Saturday I spent a few hours helping my 90 year-old mother-in-law thin out her closets and kitchen cupboards. I wasn’t sure how the day would go. Would she easily let go of things, or would this be a traumatic exercise in getting rid of possessions? Our walk down memory lane in the clothes closet was filled with history, laughs and bewilderment over pieces of clothing that had no linage. We had honest discussions on her need for eight house coats, 20 night shirts and a couple dozen knock-around shirts.  After we finished for the day, any reservations I had evaporated when Ruth said, “Now I won’t feel so guilty if I want to go out and buy something new!” I had to chuckle. Ruth wasn’t as concerned about losing her treasures as she was about gaining new storage space. “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matt 6:19-21 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I thank God that the meaning He wrote into His Word is true. That means He is what He is, and my quest is to discover what as much of that is that I can. Every grain of gold dust, every pebble of diamond, each opal of understanding dug out of life’s dirt is treasure, mapped by the Bible for its finding, and unearthed by the implements and machinery of kindness, goodness, forbearance, forgiveness, humility, etc., in endless supply. Somehow, from the tone of your blog, I get the idea that Ruth’s treasure in heaven sprinkled a bit of treasure in her closet. “And I commend enjoyment, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and enjoy himself, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of life which God gives him under the sun.” (Eccl 8:15)


Love you all,
Steve Corey