March 07, 2017

No Foul

David, my 13-year-old grandson, was upset with himself for fouling out during his last basketball game. I, on the other hand, was proud of his assertiveness and aggressiveness. Comparing the basketball court to the spiritual court, many believers worry about fouling out. We are so afraid of offending others that we hold back, fail to take the shot, or let others denominate the game. Paul reminds us that in the spiritual game of life we should be fearless and support one another, “Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should” (Eph 6:19 -20 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----It seems that I am not so averse to offending others to achieve my own goals and purposes. But I get all stymied by “caution” when it is His purpose needing served. Part of the problem is that I think I understand my own purposes better than I understand His. So I’m able to act more confidently. But I think truly that my emotional ties to my own objectives are more compelling. Where emotions don’t go, usually effort won’t go either. Maybe another part is that His stuff is really important. The more important something is the more conflicted I get about doing it because the bigger mess a little error can make of it. Offending people in regards to the Lord seems like such an ominous thing to do. Some people take offense at any mention of the Lord. Other people get hostile at the slightest criticism, no matter how kind and gently offered. And I think most of us don’t feel we have the skill to navigate the minefields people lay out for their defense. I admire people who are willing to just present the pieces like they know them and let it go.

Love you all,
Steve Corey