March 30, 2017

Rejoice With Me

While sitting in his recliner my husband Bill dropped a needle. Visually we checked his clothes, the upholstered chair and the carpet. Next we ran our hands over every surface and when that failed we got a large magnet and covered every nook and cranny where it could have fallen. I had visions of someone stepping on, or worse yet setting on the needle. After half an hour, and as a last resort, we went to the Lord in prayer. I then started all over again and retraced our steps, but this time I included turning the recliner upside down. There in the carpet next to the imprint of the recliner’s feet, lay the needle. I immediately felt a kindred spirit with the woman in the Parable of the Lost Coin. However, as I revisited the parable I was surprised that the woman, who lit a lamp, swept the house and searched until she found the lost coin, did not petition God. Jesus concluded the parable, “And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” (Luke 15:9-10 NIV).

No comments: