May 16, 2017

The Body of Christ

I recently attended a church where a member declared that their denomination is the only one that has the Truth. Interestingly, during my various church visits I keep running into some of the same people that I just encountered at a different church. These folks are mature believers, one of whom is a retired pastor, and by all appearances the place they worship is not as important as the worship itself. People of faith need to be reminded that the body of Christ is not a building, a denomination or a particular fellowship. The writer of Hebrews said, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching” (Heb 10:23-25 NIV).

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I am not sure what intent and desire could be more real and meant than Jesus Christ pouring His heart out to His Father knowing He’s soon to be nailed to a cross and hung out to die. I am not sure what could be more of a directive to those who follow Him without being a law than the publishing of what He asked, “…that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us.” (John 17:20) So…how are we doing already, or should I say “still”? I didn’t think so.
-----I’m not understanding how the maintenance of distinct denominational lines is “being one”. Expressing that “mine” is the only true denomination is the capstone of deceit. How could “your” denomination be true, or “mine”? Did the Holy Spirit not inspire Paul to write, “Let God be true though every man be false?” I don’t see anywhere in the Bible where God denominated. Man denominated, not God. Man is false. So, denominations are…
-----It’s nice to know there are some who understand the chemistry of Christ’s body. Thank you for shining a bit of light upon them. Having been through all the churches in the valley, I’m sure you’re better sensing that chemistry, too. “Spurring one another on toward love and good deeds” seems a better plan for the church than “maintaining the denominational walls.” I wish we all would do like you and these few you met until everyone in Montrose who knows the Lord would also know one another. Though its just a pipe dream to us, it was Christ’s prayer before being hung out to die.


Love you all,
Steve Corey