August 28, 2018

Praise of Men


More and more I’m aware of speakers, teachers and preachers who transition to the podium by praising the person who held platform before them. For instance, a soloist or praise team will perform and the speaker who follows will invariable compliment them and their performance before moving on to their part of the program. While I understand the exchange of pleasantries, they sometimes turn into flattery and have the appearance of praise of men. Jesus spoke about the importance of seeking the praise of God. He said, “I do not accept praise from men, but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God” (John 5:41-44 NIV)?

No comments: