October 23, 2018

I Pledge Allegiance


As I watch video news reports of the human caravan trying to reach the US I’m struck by the fact that these folks carry with them flags of Honduras, Guatemala, Venezuela and Mexico. They obviously love their own countries and do not want to relinquish their national identity. They want to live on American soil, but are unwilling to take up the American flag. I see a similar picture in those who want the blessings of the cross, but are unwilling bear allegiance to Christ, or to take up their cross. Jesus said, “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it” (Matt 10:37-39 NIV).


No comments: