March 05, 2020

Chatter


Last week I wrote about my middle-aged friend, a believer, who can’t find Mr. Right. She has what appears to be an on-and-off-again boyfriend waiting in the wings, but I’ve come to the conclusion that both she and the boyfriend are just “players”. Similar to junior high students, they like the drama of making one another jealous, breaking up one day and getting back together the next, all the time scanning the social horizon to see if there might be someone out there who is better. Last week when my friend started to tell me about their most recent date, I stopped the conversation in mid-sentence. It is not healthy for me, or anyone else, to be a sounding board for her to embellish her off-again-on-again relationship. Paul said, “Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly” (2 Tim 2:16 NIV). That being said, I must admit she and I still talk politics.


No comments: