May 18, 2020

The Chains of Social Distancing


The men’s coffee group at church, which consists of about 15 guys, decided to resume their Wednesday get-togethers. They will practice social distancing and face-masks will be optional. When I put this image in my mind and can’t help but laugh. These guys are retired seniors, most of whom wear hearing aids. They have a hard time hearing and understanding each other when sitting shoulder to shoulder. Place them six feet apart wearing masks and there’s no telling what they will hear. I predict the meditation and good-natured joking won’t be nearly as impactful as it was two months ago. Paul said, “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone” (Col 4:2-6 NIV).

No comments: