April 07, 2006

Identity Crisis

Over the last several years some of my congregation’s leaders have embraced Rick Warren’s book The Purpose Driven Church. Adding to the enthusiasm for Warren’s book, we’ve experienced many changes in ministerial staff which in turn has led to changes in ‘visions’, mottos, logos and newsletters, not to mention furnishings and equipment. I think the loss of our church identity is the result of not heeding Warren’s warning on pages 179-180 of the Purpose Drive Church. Warren says, “Reinventing the congregation is when you intentionally change the makeup of your church in order to match a new target. You completely replace all the old programs, structures, and worship styles with new ones. I want this to be very clear: I do not advise this! …Don’t even consider this option in a church with over one hundred attenders unless God tells you to do so.” In my100 year-old congregation with an attendance of over 600, I no longer know who we are. Change isn’t bad, but I’m concerned that we are paying a high price for being ‘reinvented’.

No comments: