June 09, 2006

I Was Just Joking...

A few years ago the focus for a women’s event at church was fashion, hair design and make-up. During the fashion segment the lofty voice behind the microphone singled me out as a personal object lesson of ‘what not to wear’ by saying, “…for instance Gail always wears black.” After the laughter, she continued in a sugar-coated voice, “I’m just joking.” My ‘sweet’ smile match her sweet voice as I mentally retrieved a proverb, “Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows is a man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I was only joking! (Proverbs 26:19-19 NIV) And yes, I often wear black because it’s more slimming. I take help wherever I can get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----Rush Limbaugh always reminds us that good humor is always built around a seed of truth. More often than not, the joke becomes the vessel for carrying that seed to the sender's intended purpose. Everyone laughs, and it all looks innocent. But every listener's mind quickly sorts out and soaks in that bit of truth.
----What is sad is that the seed of truth is very much one piece of a complicated jigsaw puzzle. As such, that piece of truth needs all of the other pieces of truth made to surround it before it can be understood and appreciated.
----The joker can not give you those pieces. They would spoil the joke. And even worse, if the joker's intent extends beyond mere humor, those pieces would spoil the proposed deceit that one misplaced piece of the puzzle can cause.