June 19, 2006

I've Got a Question...

After I formally raised questions about a survey and source material used to promote programs in our church, an elder sent me an email that included the following excerpt: “It has always been my belief that if indeed a person is called to a position of authority/leadership by God, when we go about questioning that leadership and authority, we are in essence questioning God!” He then directed me to Hebrews 13:17, which refers to obeying and submitting to leaders. Obedience and submission I get, but what has that got to do with asking questions of the leadership? Scripture plainly gives us permission to ask God questions, and asking Him questions is not the same as questioning His authority. In the conclusion of the email the elder wrote, “It is entirely appropriate to consult with the Elders about spiritual and scriptural concerns and I really do encourage that.” I'm sure glad God allows us to ‘consult’ Him with things beyond just ‘spiritual and scriptural concerns’.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I meet weekly with the past elder you spoke of. I respect and honor him as a brother very much, beyond the love I have for him. He still exhibits these kinds of ideas.
----As for obeying the elders, Hebrews 13:17 is undeniable. However, so are I Cor 8:7-13, Romans chapter 14, 15:1-2, Phil 2:3-4; I Peter 5:3; and more. The elders' authority is constrained by the Word of God just as the rest of the flock are constrained. They can not order their brother to go where Jesus has not ordered him to go. In fact, they must give account to God for how they use their authority, and that authority is good only in the strict guidlines of the Word of God.
----I do not advocate disobedience to the elders. I do hold that elders who are disobedient to the Word in the exercise of their authority should cease to be elders. They are unqualified for such an important position, and they are destructive to the spiritual health of the body.
----To allow elders to exercise authority outside the express principles of the Word of God would be similar to giving your neighbors' teenager a blank check. Soon you would be bankrupt. The spiritual poverty of our church is also apparent to those who have eyes to see, and "ears to hear what the Spirit says to the Churches."