August 29, 2006

Beware

I usually pay little attention to a sign on a fence that reads ‘Beware of Dog’, unless I needed to go into that yard. Recently while walking in my neighborhood I saw signs posted on power poles that read ‘Lost: Brown Pit Bull with three white paws. Please call…’ Oh sure, make it sound like little Fido went out for a walk, forgot where he lived and you want people to help in his return. Let me rephrase what the sign says, ‘Beware: Dog on the loose that can chew your leg off’. Now when I walk the adrenalin is flowing and I’m watching out for anything brown, with or without paws, that makes a move. Until ‘Fido’ is found and those signs come down, I’m nervously looking over my shoulder. I’m sure the Apostle Peter hoped to evoke the same response when he wrote, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8 NIV) Maybe it would help me to visualize Satan as a Pit Bull.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I think I meantioned it before, but I never felt myself to be big enough potatoes for Satan to fry. But I am sure that he has some minion eager to slice me into the skillet. I am sure that Satan and his host are busy keeping certain principles in operation. I believe this is the way they perform most of their treachury. Those principles seem to reverburate through the human community, a little fad here, a popular notion there. The Bible is full of warning signs about these puppies, and all of us carelessly ignorant little ones have an anklefull of scars to attest to their presence.