August 17, 2006

Lord, to whom shall we go...?

Although I haven’t actually visited other churches in town looking for a different place to worship, there are times I’ve thought about it. When our congregation gets out of sync, fed up with church politics and discouraged, we start asking one another, “If we left, where would we go?” Then we start down the list of other churches in town and discuss their pros and cons…and the problems that they too are having in their congregation. In the book of John when some disciples turned back and quit following Jesus he said to the Twelve, “You do not want to leave too, do you?” To which Simon Peter responded, “Lord, to whom shall we go?...” OK, so God hasn’t yet called me to jump over the fence, but sometimes the grass over there really does look greener!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----What a familiar insight your post is. Char and I are now, not entirely by our own will, enjoying a chance to sample the grass on the other side of the fence. How are we finding it? Char said to me last night, "Teddy, you need to be more positive about going to church. The girls can see that your not thinking too highly of it now."
----And you know, in a way she is really right. I am experiencing the reality that I have always known: the grass on the other side of any church fence is green in only spots. Most of it has been browned and baked by the heat of man's pandering to the Deceiver.
----But I replied to her, "Your right, Honey. Most of the members of any church have the fellowship and meaning of church rather well sorted out. But everywhere we go, there just always seems to be leaders who think church is about what they can get a group of people to do. And I'm kind of burned out on that!"
----I only have to look at myself to know that a lot of the browned grass must be overlooked. I can better abide the one who says, "Yes, I know the Bible says we should do such and such in the church, but in todays climate of things it is so nearly impossible!" I say that myself about certain things. But I can hardly abide the one who says, "It does not say that! That's only one man's opinion! You twist scripture like Satan Himself!" Uhh. Well, ok.