December 12, 2006

Do you see what I see?

One Christmas my friend Terri purchased clothes for Jani, her adult special needs daughter. A week before it was time to open the gifts however, Terri removed the old clothes from the closet to make room for the new clothes. Not understanding why mom was getting rid of her ‘work clothes’, Jani was agitated and she tried to explain that she needed those clothes. When it appeared that Terri wasn’t listening to her protests, Jani said in frustration, “Wake up your eyes!” (Translation: open your eyes). Evangelistically speaking, I can think of more than a few people that I’d like to tell, “Wake up your eyes!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I try to imagine what the moment of Lucifer's error was like. I think that the common perception is of a major, spolied rotten, rebellious act of self assertion. But I can not imagine one-third of the angels being led astray by a blatantly obvious foul. It makes sense to me that his error would have been quietly subtle, maybe to the effect of:
---"God's will and desire is that we serve one another. To you I am an other. Therefore it does no harm if I serve myself a bit. Moreover, I know myself best, and our joint efforts will be reduced if I just take some care of myself."
----By the time Eve met Satan, he had already become the destroyer. But his subtlety was still well intact, as it is yet today. Jesus did not say, "Let him who has eyes to see see, and let him who has ears to hear hear," because Satan was boisterous and obvious in his designs. He proclaimed these truths because one must search diligently for the truth from a desire to know the truth in a world of subtle, yet poisonous, lies.
----I have ridden with people who from a lack of sight or a lack of concern hit every pothole and washboard in the road. It is not a comfortable ride. I have also served at a church whose eyes were more closely fixed on the visions of its leaders than they were on the Words of its God. That was even less comfortable. I now serve with people who are trying a little harder to wake up their eyes. It feels better. And as eyes adjust to the light and see better, so do they adjust to subtlety and see more subtley, if indeed sincerety is found in actions of response to the light.