December 29, 2006

The Truth Hurts

You want to know the real reason why people make a New Year’s resolution to start dieting on January 1st? It’s because they just watched the family Christmas video and can see themselves as others see them. Normally when I look in a mirror I give more attention to hair and make-up, and overlook the less controllable body parts. It’s always a shock to see myself in full frontal, side and rear-end video clips. The truth really hurts! Looking in the Scriptural mirror, it’s also easy for me to focus on areas where I’m already obedient and avoid looking into the full length mirror of God’s Word. I can imagine getting to heaven and hearing the Lord say, “Gail I’ve got a video for you to watch.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----My life took a change in the middle of my childhood. The seeds of depression germinated and began to grow. In many ways I became a "downer". Friends and acquaintances would sometimes point that out, and I always imagined I could feel the amount of my weight that others around me had to bear. So when I looked in the mirror, the flaws were always the first things I saw. For many years the only time I really looked at myself closely in the mirror was to either shave or give myself another scornful lecture.
----Though my depression has been replaced with joy, and the scorn with forgiveness, my critical eye is still confounding me. I overcame the depression by paying careful attention to the truth and its application to the flaws. Yet, since I nail to the tree like Jello, I find the critical eye too useful in trying to keep my sags out of the dirt and off my neighbors. Although I always try to close it when looking at my neighbor's Jello sagging into the dirt, I open it wide when his Jello is drulling all over another neighbor and ruining that one's day.
----Forgiveness and grace must always be the operative heart for my sags and those of my neighbors. For there must always be room for eveyone who comes to His cross where God forgives if we do. But I just can't stop thinking that the critical eye is too useful for trying not to nail the Jello where it can drip on a neighbor's head. Maybe someday someone will have some insightful tidbit about balancing my desire for one neighbor's comfort with leaving the other neighbor alone to nail his own Jello.